Monday, May 11, 2009

Further Pondering

So, why is it that deodorant commonly causes allergic reactions in people, but not other cosmetic or hygiene products? I mean, I've never heard of someone breaking out in a rash from their toothpaste or hair gel. Is it something inherent in the nature of the product, or is it because it's worn all day in a warm, moist, sensitive area of the body? Or do I just not know about people getting rashes from other things, like makeup or feminine hygiene products?

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 8:52:00 AM PDT, Blogger Sarahliz said...

I've known at least one person who developed an allergy to most toothpastes and had to switch to Tom's of Maine or one of the other natural toothpastes. I suspect that with many other things there's enough variety in main ingredients that people with allergies can find something that works for them.

 
At Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 10:28:00 AM PDT, Blogger clynne said...

Bubble bath and soap cause allergic reactions really frequently -- when I was little, I couldn't use bubble bath.

It's not uncommon for women to have allergies to makeup. I had never heard of people having allergic reactions to deodorant/antiperspirant before me and Dorothy.

 
At Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 10:30:00 PM PDT, Blogger Richard Mason said...

Some people are allergic to latex condoms.

If laundry detergent counts as a hygiene product, people can certainly be allergic to that, which is why there are special hypoallergenic baby-safe approved-by-pediatrician detergent brands (or maybe that's just marketing).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home