Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Vegas Roach Trap Update

A year and a half ago I mentioned the low-cost Vegas Roach Trap. I just received a comment alerting me to what is said to be an improvement upon the design.

I should perhaps also note that last year, due to an unfortunate misplacement of an old candy apple, I had an infestation of fruit flies in my apartment. Until eliminating the actual source of the flies, I was able to keep things under control with a simple, cheap, and effective flytrap recommended by my younger sister Dorothy. All you have to do is fill up the bottom of a bowl with a shallow depth of apple cider vinegar, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and poke a few holes in the top with a fork. This worked far better than any commercial remedies I tried. The flies are attracted to the vinegar, get inside through the holes, and then get stuck. You may want to ensure effectiveness by squishing them under the plastic as they crawl along the edge of the bowl.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 1:35:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar using this method, but that you catch the most flies with cranberry-apple juice. Er, where "flies" are actually "tiny moths that incubated inside that uneaten loaf you forgot about in the breadmaker for two months."

The plastic wrap is an interesting innovation; my experiments involved leaving the juice, vinegar, and honey sitting out on the counter top in shallow dishes such that they'd evaporate and get sticky.

Oh -- those decorated roaches in your post? There were some at the fashion show in Union Station a couple months ago where Miriam and I got plastered on free booze. I let one walk on me. It was ... OK. I'd be worried about squishing it, though, if I wore it around. Or losing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home