Monday, September 17, 2007

How 'bout that?

My sister Dorothy introduced me to this "Career Matchmaker" toy (use the username nycareers and the password landmark) yesterday. I plugged in my preferences and came up with the following career suggestions list after a single pass:

1. Planner
2. Civil Engineering Tech
3. Home Inspector
4. Cartographer
5. Electrical Engineer
etc.

Astute observers will note that the #1 suggestion, Planner, is, in fact, my actual career. #5, Electrical Engineer, is, more or less, what I was doing before I became a planner. My Bachelor's degree was in Geology, and Geologist is their #15 suggestion. Not bad.

My sister's actual career, high school teacher, came in third on her list, but I think that was after making a bunch of refinements to her preferences. I think originally her list had things like "upholstery cleaner" on it. The odd thing is that I think she's about as well-suited to teaching high school as anybody ever was.

UPDATE: See the comments; I guess that username wasn't supposed to be public, and now it doesn't work.

3 Comments:

At Monday, September 17, 2007 at 4:31:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My refinements were things like, "what kind of educational level do you want to have"

I think it's because I do enjoy a certain amount of tedious, physical, repetitive work that I don't have to think about. I indicated that on the first pass and it came up with a bunch of stuff like, "carpet installer."

I think the constant brainwork and flexibility that teaching requires makes me long to do things like paint fences.

 
At Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 5:07:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the username/password combination didn't work for me. =( that's too bad. i was really interested to see what it came up with for me.

 
At Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 5:34:00 PM PDT, Blogger Adam Villani said...

Somebody on Dorothy's site said that apparently that password was stolen or otherwise wasn't supposed to become public, since I guess it's normally a pay site. So I guess that they finally got around to canceling that username. Anyway, I guess their service is pretty accurate, if you have strong preferences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home