Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Failure in Iraq

Kenneth Pollack offers the most comprehensive summary I've yet seen on how the reconstruction of Iraq went wrong. The dimensions of failure are really collosal; certainly the article is benefiting from hindsight, but I have to wonder how things might have gone differently if an administration with competence and integrity had decided that Saddam needed to go. Cleaning this mess up is a daunting task; I wish we could see the future with as much clarity as Pollack outlines the past.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, January 4, 2007 at 11:43:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked how the article distinguished between truly bad ideas, and good ideas either given too-agressive timetables and/or not given enough resources.

I follow the updates on this page: http://d-n-i.net/lind/lind_archive.htm, where the author looks at things from a "fourth generation warfare" counterinsurgency perspective. I find it interesting reading but I have to hold your nose and endure the author's paleoconservative and self-described monarchist (he believes the world would've been a much better place had Germany defeated France in 1914) views and his ranting about "cultural Marxists".

 
At Thursday, January 4, 2007 at 2:26:00 PM PST, Blogger Adam Villani said...

You have to hold my nose? Hey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home