Tuesday, December 26, 2006

R.I.P., James Brown

See, this is why news organizations who compile "year in review" features before the year actually finishes are fools. Now how many 2006 necrologies are going to exclude James Brown because he didn't have the courtesy to pass on before the publication deadline?

Also, yes, the cover to the 1992 single "James Brown is Dead" really did look that stupid. Bonus points to the first reader to identify which Stale Urine song stole its main riff from L.A. Style's 14-years-too-early club hit?

Update: This wrap-up of 2006 is centered on pop music but has a posting date of December 20 and, of course, neglects James Brown. Oops. I missed posting about Ahmet Ertegun's death while on vacation, though, so let me belatedly note an R.I.P. for the Atlantic Records founder.

A good appreciation of James Brown's musical influence. I remember one time in college working in the office of our student newspaper while "Sex Machine" blared from the stereo on infinite repeat. The song never got old, and the end flowed seamlessly back in to the beginning. The beat, the groove was unstoppable and if that couldn't fire you up, nothing would.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 26, 2006 at 3:58:00 AM PST, Blogger Mike said...

I have not heard "James Brown is Dead," but I'll guess "Rob Cobb's Job."

 
At Tuesday, December 26, 2006 at 4:00:00 AM PST, Blogger Mike said...

I dunno why my blogger name is showing up as "worcestermag," I guess this is a legacy of when I was checking out the worcestermag vs worcesterma blogs.

 
At Tuesday, December 26, 2006 at 8:50:00 AM PST, Blogger Adam Villani said...

You, sir, are correct. It is "Rob Cobb's Job."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home