Friday, December 14, 2007

Quickie Flagstaff Trip

Wednesday I was going to go out for an overnight trip to the Mojave, but my wife had something she needed delivered to a professor at Northern Arizona University, so on the spur of the moment I decided to drive it all the way out there instead. The whole trip ended up being about 1100 miles round trip, and I only spent the one night there in Flagstaff. So it was tiring, but it was also kinda fun to go on such a long trip on the spur of the moment.

Flagstaff is a nice town, and it had been blanketed with a few days of snowfall when I arrived.The San Francisco Peaks, including the highest point in Arizona, are just a few miles north of town.Thursday afternoon I headed up to Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, where you can see a young cinder cone and some lava fields.Nearby is Wupatki National Monument, home of the well-preserved ruins of an 12th-century pueblo.You can walk right up to the ruins, which even include a ball court.You can see the whole photoset here.

4 Comments:

At Saturday, December 15, 2007 at 3:13:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some serious icicles!!

 
At Monday, December 17, 2007 at 12:22:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Sunset Crater a lot. I visit it every time I'm in or around Flagstaff.

 
At Wednesday, December 19, 2007 at 7:45:00 AM PST, Blogger OPechanga said...

Did you sample some of the local food? Maybe some stuffed sopaipillas or Green chile?

Small town Williams, west of Flagstaff seems like a good place to retire.

 
At Wednesday, December 19, 2007 at 1:50:00 PM PST, Blogger Adam Villani said...

I didn't eat any Southwestern food (or, indeed, notice any restaurants serving them, although I wasn't really looking), but I did the last time I was in New Mexico. I ate lunch at the Beaver St. Pub (sausages) and dinner at Bunhuggers (grilled hamburgers) on Milton Rd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home