Monday, July 30, 2007

R.I.P., Ingmar Bergman

The great Swedish director died today at the age of 89. I rarely find myself in a Bergman mood, but I have watched four of his films*, and they're unassailably good. Bergman brought a real artist's hand to his movies and seemed like a grown-up in an industry full of little boys.

Victor Morton is a big Bergman fan, so I'm watching to see if Vic de-lurks on his own blog to write something about him. You can see what he wrote about Bergman's cinematographer Sven Nykvist here, and about Bergman vs. Hitchcock here.

UPDATE: Vic doesn't disappoint. He's written a meaty post on Bergman here.
*For the record, the four are The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, and Autumn Sonata. All but the last one were on film, not video. Needless to say, I should really see more.

1 Comments:

At Monday, July 30, 2007 at 8:02:00 PM PDT, Blogger Paul C. said...

You know, I actually sort of envy you, having all those great Bergman films in your future. Plus seeing many of the ones you have seen on film is wonderful- I've only seen one Bergman film projected in 35mm (SUMMER WITH MONIKA) and I bet it makes a huge difference. Of the Bergmans you haven't seen yet, my favorites are Shame, Smiles of a Summer Night, and Cries and Whispers, which will be this subject of my Movie Moment this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home