Sunday, June 24, 2007

Against U-Haul

The L.A. Times is in the midst of a three-part series raking U-Haul over the coals for all sorts of safety and ethical violations. I believe it. For a long time I had always rented with U-Haul when I was moving and just accepted their crappy trucks as a fact of life. Then, two years ago, my sister Dorothy was moving back to California from New Orleans (she beat Katrina by two months) and I co-drove a Penske truck 2000 miles for the job. I had never before realized that there were nice trucks for rent that didn't feel like they were going to fall apart if you drove over a seam in the freeway at the wrong angle. Driving a U-Haul always felt like I was gambling with my life, but the Penske truck felt like a good machine designed and maintained to actually do its job correctly and comfortably. And it didn't have ugly-ass warning sticker clutter everywhere, either.

6 Comments:

At Monday, June 25, 2007 at 9:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger hagus said...

And if I remember correctly, Penske didn't cost any more than U-Haul. I think in some cases, U-Haul might have cheaper in-city moving rates, but Penske was the obvious choice for cross country moving.

 
At Monday, June 25, 2007 at 11:27:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penske was actually way cheaper, especially with the AAA discount.

Plus, the Penske rental place was not crowded, and the people were super nice.

 
At Sunday, July 1, 2007 at 8:25:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I priced out Penske at some point before Doafy's move ... I don't remember why; that's why I suggested them, though. They were super-de-duper cheap compared to U-haul, and, let's face it, no one could rent crappier trucks than U-haul without killing their customers.

I have this completely krakheaded notion that the reason Penske is so much better is because of the racing family connection, but it could just be they're a better company.

 
At Monday, July 2, 2007 at 3:02:00 AM PDT, Blogger Adam Villani said...

I think some of the point about the U-Haul articles was that sometimes they do kill their customers.

 
At Thursday, November 29, 2007 at 12:20:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rip off on fuel charges - returned the truck with needle in same position was told no - was charged $50 - this amounts to about $16 a gallon. Also told them that brakes were making a lot of noise - they said that was natural.

 
At Monday, May 6, 2013 at 8:28:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this information about U-Haul. I don't know the difference of Heavy Hauling and that U-Haul. I think I will research more about that.

heavy hauling

 

Post a Comment

<< Home