Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Natural Wonders

Yesterday I mentioned various lists of Seven Wonders of the World. Did you happen to take a look at CNN's list of Seven Wonders of the Natural World? Here's their list:
  • Grand Canyon, Arizona
  • Paricutin volcano, Mexico
  • The harbor at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • The Northern Lights
  • Mt. Everest, Nepal/China
  • Victoria Falls, Zambia/Zimbabwe
  • Great Barrier Reef, Australia
As a disclaimer, I should note that the only one of those sights I've seen is the Grand Canyon, but doesn't it seem like one of those seven is considerably less spectacular than the others? Yes, I'm referring to Rio de Janeiro harbor. From the photographs, yes, it does look very pretty, but aren't there beautiful harbors all around the world? They even admit that it's polluted and that one of the world's largest cities happens to have built up next to it. That bay they were paddling around in Vietnam on The Amazing Race last week looked more spectacular. I'll venture that the harbor in Rio de Janeiro isn't even the most wondrous natural sight in Brazil, or is the Amazon River and its rainforest just not all its cracked up to be?

I can't narrow it down to seven, but here's the most wondrous sights of the natural world that I've seen, in no particular order:

4 Comments:

At Friday, October 20, 2006 at 11:20:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ARen't there already divisions for "seven wonders of the ancient world" "seven wonders of the modern world" etc?

 
At Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 11:04:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that last comment was meant for your previous post.

for this one:
you really think the giant sequoias are more impressive than the giant coastal redwoods? I'll have my trees tall over fat any day.

 
At Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 3:12:00 AM PDT, Blogger Adam Villani said...

The Coast redwoods are just a bit taller than the giant sequoias. Not really to denigrate the coast redwoods, since they're the second-most impressive trees I've seen, but just in general appearance, they resemble other conifers, just bigger. The sequoias really look like a different beast altogether, all orange and fat, with a bunch of stubby little branches here and there.

Also, I've seen more of the sequoias lately, so they're more fresh in my memory.

I'd also give an honorary shout-out to the ancient bristlecone pines. Those are some funky trees.

 
At Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 10:33:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I think the sequoias are kinda silly looking, while the coastal redwoods are majestic. Also, I've seen the coastal redwoods more, and I have fabulous memories from that region. Those were some of my favorite vacations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home