Tuesday, September 26, 2006

More personal lists

I wasn't tagged, but Donna Bowman posted her responses to these and I figure I'd do the same, with some modification of the questions.

4 jobs I've had:
1. Kitemaker's apprentice (First job, working for a guy in my neighborhood, got laid off when he opened up a factory in Mexico, pre-NAFTA.)
2. Movie theatre employee (Pacific's Lakewood Center Theatre. Snack bar, usher, box office, etc.)
3. Caltech Coffeehouse (More of a greasy spoon than a coffeehouse. Began as a grill monkey, worked my way up to head manager.)
4. Oil driller (Worked for an oil-drilling company monitoring the drilling operation. Hated it, quit after a month.)

4 fantasy jobs:
1. Rock star
2. Baseball player
3. Movie producer
4. Amusement park owner/designer

4 movies I could watch over and over:
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Aguirre: Wrath of God
3. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
4. The Empire Strikes Back

4 places I've lived:
1. Hightstown, New Jersey (was born in Princeton, moved to CA when I was 16 months old.)
2. Manhattan Beach, California (when I first moved here)
3. Long Beach, California (from my third birthday and then off and on since college; my parents still live there)
4. Koreatown, Los Angeles, California (1998-1999)

4 television shows I love:
1. The Amazing Race
2. Late Night with Conan O'Brien
3. Curb Your Enthusiasm
4. Jeopardy!

4 places I've vacationed:
1. Maui (my honeymoon)
2. Utsunomiya, Japan (one-month exchange program in high school)
3. Puerto Rico (a friend's wedding)
4. New Orleans, Louisiana
Bonus: See a map of all the counties I've visited here, or just the data here.

4 of my favorite dishes:
1. Petrillo's specialty pizza at Petrillo's in San Gabriel, piled high with fresh toppings.
2. Killer Shrimp at Killer Shrimp. Shrimp in a very flavorful broth.
3. Prik pao sauce with chicken at President Thai. Cashews and green onions in a spicy paste.
4. Seared scallops with panchetta in a beurre blanc at the Brown Hotel in Louisville.

4 places I'd rather be:
1. On the road
2. At the beach
3. Hiking in the mountains
4. Visiting a new city

4 books I could read over and over:
Over and over? A tall order, but here'd be my list:
1. Moby-Dick* by Herman Melville
2. Cars and Trucks and Things that Go by Richard Scarry (this is a book that I did read over and over)
3. The Thomas Guide for Los Angeles and Orange Counties
4. The New York Times Almanac

4 albums I couldn't live without:
Again, "couldn't live without" is a tall order, but here goes:
1. Philip Glass, Koyaanisqatsi (1998 recording)
2. Pink Floyd, Meddle
3. Orbital, Orbital 2 (the "Brown Album")
4. The Beatles, The Beatles (the "White Album")

4 things I'd like to do before I die:
I rarely think of things in these terms; here are some general goals I've set:
1. Reach a successful professional level where I have the confidence to make large-scale recommendations that get implemented, and my work influences others.
2. Have a nice house in a pleasant environment with a good-sized yard.
3. Travel the country and the world so that I can always discover new places.
4. Be successful on a more personal scale, with a long, happy marriage (I've got a short, happy one so far), nieces/nephews or kids of my own to leave a legacy to, and reaching a more contented spiritual state.

4 local attractions I've never visited:
1. The Museum of Jurassic Technology
2. The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
3. The Magic Castle
4. Old movie palaces on Broadway; I hear the Orpheum is fantastic

*or, The Whale

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 26, 2006 at 2:52:00 PM PDT, Blogger Ted said...

Mmmmm... Petrillo's.

 
At Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 11:44:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you do head over to the museum of jurassic technology, let me know! i've been wanting to go, but never actually do. the idea just cracks me up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home