Friday, August 11, 2006

Mel Gibson

Yes, I know Mel Gibson was the story everybody was blogging about last week, but Vic has been linking to me, so I figured I might as well link to Vic's take on Mel Gibson's arrest last week. My short take: I think we've pretty well proven that Gibson's an anti-Semite. But where does he go from there? Is this something he knows consciously is wrong and tries to change in himself, or is it something he just masks every time he deals with Jews in his business and personal life? Consider his father and how much of that he must have internalized. All the same, bigotry is something people can work to overcome, even if there's still a remnant bit of it stuck in the back of their psyche. I don't know what the man does in his private life, but if he wants to be taken seriously in the public realm, he needs to show that he really does recognize that this is a problem and that he's working through it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home