Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Skandies

Voting for the 2005 Skandie Awards has finished, and Mike D'Angelo has begun posting the results. The first thing he posts are the "fake nominees," so called because there is only one round of voting, and he just lists the top 5 from each category in alphabetical order to create a simulated list of "nominees." Then, starting at #20 and working his way to the top of the chart, he reveals one chart-placer from each category each day.

The fake nominees for Best Picture are:

  • Brokeback Mountain
  • Caché (Hidden)
  • Grizzly Man
  • The New World
  • Tropical Malady

Personally I liked 4/5 of these enough to put on my own ballot, but I really didn't groove on Tropical Malady. I don't have anything against the "static shot" school of filmmaking per se, but I have my limits. Great photography aside, this movie was boring as hell. Maybe it would have been better if the two lead characters had had any kind of discernible personality.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 5:51:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't feeling Tropical Malady, either. I think it showed up on the Cinematography portion of my ballot, until I realized there is no such thing as the Cinematography portion of one's Skandie ballot.

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 at 12:39:00 AM PST, Blogger Adam Villani said...

One more reason to vote in the Massies. Yeah, I'm definitely nominating it in Cinematography. There's a lot of good candidates there... Malady, New World, 2046, etc.

 
At Tuesday, February 14, 2006 at 1:40:00 AM PST, Blogger Eric Henderson said...

Wait, when are these Massies due? I have to see Caché and The New World this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home