The election may be over, but we political junkies who were following the election news day and night don't have to go cold turkey now; there are things like recounts in Minnesota and speculation over cabinet posts to satisfy our cravings.
So I'd like to take this opportunity to make a prediction for an obscure cabinet post, said obscurity making me look smarter if I turn out to actually be right, and also insuring that nobody (including myself) will care if I am wrong. My prediction is that Tammy Duckworth will be selected for Secretary of Veterans' Affairs. Why?
- She is an Iraq War veteran whose criticism of the war is similar to Obama's,
- She is a double amputee due to war injuries,
- She is female,
- She is Asian-American (half Thai, half white),
- She narrowly lost a race for Congress as the Democratic nominee in 2006,
- She was appointed to head the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs after losing the election, and I have not seen any evidence of there being any major problems with her administration, and
- Illinois is Obama's home state, so he either knows her or knows people who do.
UPDATE: I was wrong. He is Asian, though.