Monday, January 22, 2007

Oscar noms predix

Last year I drew up predictions for the 8 major Oscar categories (Picture, Director, the two Writing categories, and the four Acting categories) and nailed 4/5 or 5/5 in each category, 34/40 total. Unfortunately, I didn't post my predictions on my blog, and the one prediction I did make on my blog - that Brokeback Mountain would win Best Picture - didn't come true.

This year my movie-watching has really dropped off, so I've hardly seen any of the contenders. I'll take a stab at it anyway. I must note that these are just predictions based on buzz; I haven't seen most of these movies. Personally my favorite movies of the year were United 93, The Prestige, and A Scanner Darkly.

Best Picture
Babel
The Departed
Dreamgirls
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen

Best Director
Bill Condon, Dreamgirls
Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, Little Miss Sunshine
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Babel
Paul Greengrass, United 93
Martin Scorsese, The Departed

Best Original Screenplay
Babel
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen
Stranger than Fiction
United 93

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Departed
The Devil Wears Prada
Little Children
The Prestige
Thank You for Smoking

Best Actor
Sacha Baron Cohen, Borat
Ryan Gosling, Half Nelson
Peter O'Toole, Venus
Will Smith, The Pursuit of Happyness
Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland

Best Actress
Penélope Cruz, Volver
Judi Dench, Notes on a Scandal
Helen Mirren, The Queen
Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet, Little Children

Best Supporting Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Departed (might be in the Lead category)
Jackie Earle Haley, Little Children
Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Brad Pitt, Babel
Mark Wahlberg, The Departed

Best Supporting Actress
Adriana Barraza, Babel
Cate Blanchett, Notes on a Scandal
Abigail Breslin, Little Miss Sunshine
Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Rinko Kikuchi, Babel

Tomorrow I'll go through the list and see how I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home