Friday, January 19, 2007

Obama/Schweitzer?

This Time article on Rocky Mountain Democrats sums up what could be the most promising trend for the Democratic Party in a long time. In particular, I loved this quote on page 7 from Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer:

Later I asked Schweitzer how a Democrat could sell that energy pitch in a presidential campaign. "I can do it in a 60-second spot," he said. "Put me on the clock." And he was off to the races: "Folks, we've got a problem. We Americans use 6.5 billion bbl. of oil a year. We produce 2.5 billion ourselves. We import 4 billion from the world's worst dictators. We need to stop doing that. We can save 1 billion bbl. through conservation. Things like more efficient cars, homes and appliances. We can produce another 1 billion bbl. of biofuels with agricultural crops like corn, soybeans and canola. We can produce 2 billion bbl. a year turning our enormous coal reserves to clean-burning gas. We can achieve energy independence in 10 years, create a whole new industry with tens of thousands of high-paying jobs, and you'll never have to send your grandchildren to war in the Middle East. I'm Brian Schweitzer, and I approved this message."
If the Democrats gave me an Obama/Schweitzer ticket in 2008, it could mark the first time in my adult life I've actually felt good about my Presidential vote. And if that ticket were to win, I'd feel very good about it.

1 Comments:

At Friday, January 19, 2007 at 5:38:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We can produce 2 billion bbl. a year turning our enormous coal reserves to clean-burning gas."

eeeg. But that means destroying the Appalachians.

However, I like everything else he has to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home