Sunday, January 13, 2008

Everything You Always Wanted to Hear on the Moog*

A fellow who goes by the name Synth Baron has done the world a big favor and made excellent-quality digital transfers of Andrew Kazdin and Thomas Z. Shepard's marvelous LP Everything You Always Wanted to Hear on the Moog*. This Columbia album is, with all due respect to Wendy Carlos and Isao Tomita, my favorite example of the late-60s/early-70s phenomenon of adapting Classical pieces to the Moog synthesizer. I think a lot of that has to do with the choice of works to include, all very colorful "Spanish" pieces (actually, the composers are three Frenchmen and a Cuban) that lend themselves well to the Moog's ability to create a wide variety of sounds. My parents had a copy that I listened to all the time as a little kid, and it still fills me with joy to hear it today.

The cover art, incidentally, is by Tomi Ungerer.

*but were afraid to ask for

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 11:32:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME! This is a fabulous album, I remember it fondly, especially when Erich is playing Wendy Carlos.

 
At Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 11:06:00 AM PST, Blogger Mike said...

I liked this a lot. Thanks for posting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home