Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bugliosi on JFK

Famed prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi has published what is intended to be the last word on the John F. Kennedy assassination, a massive, 1,612-page tome refuting conspiracy theorists and defending the central finding of the Warren Commission, that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in killing the President. Of course, the conspiracy industry is way too well-developed to be put to rest with one book, no matter how comprehensive. Bugliosi says that any reasonable person who reads his book should be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt of his case.

Personally you know how I generally feel about conspiracy theories if you read this post last week. I must admit, though, that as it stands right now --- not having read the Warren Commission report or done any other research on the subject --- that while I think Oswald probably did it, I'm not 100% convinced of the official version of events. I think I would say that I feel that Oswald acting alone is probably the most likely scenario. At most, maybe he worked with a few other people. A broad-based conspiracy by LBJ or the CIA to assassinate the President, though, I definitely do not believe.

Like I said, though, I haven't done any kind of thorough research and it wouldn't be prudent for me to say anything for sure either way until I've read the evidence myself. I don't know if I'll do that; the book sounds quite daunting.

Incidentally, I spent a day in Dallas once and found that the Sixth Floor Museum, located in the Texas School Book Depository building where Oswald fired his shots, was utterly fascinating. I would say that this is the best small, single-focus museum I've ever been to. There was a lot of information, and they put the whole thing in context well, and with an appropriate amount of respect. Standing there at the window was quite chilling, too, imagining JFK's motorcade passing below. That's basically where I formed my opinion on the assassination; the official version makes more sense than any of the alternatives, but from what I saw, I would not say that I'm cleared of all doubt. But it's good to know that if I ever put the time in to read Bugliosi's book, I might have all my doubts removed.

UPDATE: This site is a bit flip but locates all the significant assassination-related sites in Dallas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home