Wednesday, January 04, 2006

My Cousin has Leukemia

A couple of days ago I found out that my cousin's 14-year-old daughter had just been diagnosed with leukemia. She's been admitted to the City of Hope Medical Center in Duarte and has already begun responding well to chemotherapy. She has an older sister whom they'll be testing to see if she's a bone marrow match. They say the chances of it going into remission are 75% if she gets the bone marrow, 50% without. In the meantime, she needs blood and platelets. I'm going in on Saturday to donate platelets. I used to donate blood regularly, but hadn't in a couple of years. This seems like a good opportunity to remind you that you should go to your local hospital and donate blood. It's a good thing to do and it really isn't that uncomfortable at all; I hardly feel it. If you'd like to donate directly to my cousin, her name is Nicole Schulz, she has A+ blood (blood type matching isn't necessary for platelet donations), and you'd have to go to the City of Hope. Here's their blood donor info. Keep her in your prayers.

1 Comments:

At Monday, January 16, 2006 at 12:46:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another good thing is to join the bone marrow registry, in case you're ever a match with someone who needs a transplant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home